Saturday 5 March 2011

An inspired idea

A couple of weeks ago, some of my Twitter friends were discussing the forthcoming World Book Day, and out of this conversation came an inspired idea. Author, Nicola Morgan suggested that a complimentary initiative, a World Book Night could be embraced by many book loving people throughout the country and would benefit all links in the book chain: namely, the giver, because they would have the pleasure of shopping for a book, the author, agent, publisher, book shop and of course, ultimately, the reader. Nicola Blogged about it here on Help! I Need a Publisher!

 Many people on Twitter immediately saw the light and enthusiastically agreed that it would be a fantastic idea. The power of Twitter quickly drew it to the attention of the National press and even made Newsnight. (Unfortunately, Nicola’s main points she wanted to highlight were sadly obscured by bad editing)

 I am a baker and have nothing to do with the world of books, apart from being a passionate reader. And being a typical bloke I hate shopping, but must say, I very much enjoy book shopping. Consequently, I have thoroughly enjoyed taking part of the complementary World Book Night. Yes, I have cheated a little by already giving a book away, but only because I wouldn't see the recipient today.

I dropped into Holman's book shop, just a few doors away from my office and spent time browsing the shelves. It made me smile that there were a lot of books written by Twitter friends.  I made a selection and then discussed my plan to the lovely lady who runs the book department.  She helped me whittle down my choice and I ended up with Joanne Harris's 'Gentlemen and Players'.
 
I knew exactly who would receive this book (a member of my staff), and it made my day that she was delighted. Her daughter is also passionate about books, and went to school yesterday dressed as her favourite book character (a horse fairy).
My second book, Alan Bennett's 'The Uncommon Reader' is going to my good friend, who much to my annoyance, hardly ever reads for pleasure. I thought this slim volume would gently dig him in the ribs and get him started!
 
So well done Nicola Morgan, you have got me out of my office and into my book shop. I have enjoyed the giving, and also spotted a couple of Peter James books on the shelves (yet more purchases!). It's been a welcome and enjoyable initiative that I look forward to doing again.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Well, you might be a baker - and I know you're a very good one from all the raves I see from Twitter friends who have tasted your wares - but you are also a writer, if this post is an example.

    So sorry that sentence was so long. Guess I should practice more before I send out my stories! :)

    Anyway, enjoyed reading this, and I just adore that your shop is doors away from a bookstore. What a lucky fellow you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh look what I have found - floury paw prints!Welcome to the world of blogs!

    ReplyDelete